Saturday 26 March 2011

21st February 1948

Today I was 8 - no celebration because my beloved Granny was unwell. I did receive a new dress though.
When I woke up next morning it was to the sound of my father crying - my dear Granny had died during the night. I was sent to stay with an aunt in London - Billy stayed behind.
When I returned 3 weeks later it was to find that he had been taken in by our maternal grandmother. She had agreed to look after both of us for the princely sum of £2-10s per week - which did not include the purchase of clothing.
Overnight I went from a 2up 2down wooden cottage to an 8 room detached bungalow standing in a large plot. The garden had plum, apple, cherry and damson trees, 4 lawns and a sumptuous 4 seater garden swing - it seemed like heaven to Billy and me.
We had never met this lady before so you can imagine how strange it was to us - my granny had been 72 and had raised 10 children - my new Nanny was 52, with 5 children and my youngest uncle was only 17 - a whole new world opened up before us - but were we happy?  ...


to be continued

1 comment:

  1. You write so well Chrystine. I could quite easily have read another chapter:)
    Anne x

    ReplyDelete